How to Clean Your Memory Foam Pillow
Your favorite bed pillow is a highly personal choice. Some sleepers like a sturdy, solid pillow. Others prefer a squishable, soft pillow. But no matter your preference, regular cleaning is a must.
Think about it. Your bed pillow is one of the most used items in your home. All year long it cradles your head through the dark of night, heat of summer and late night snacks and spills. No wonder it deserves - and needs - a good cleaning.
The key to keeping a clean pillow is knowing what type of material is used inside. Whether you have solid memory foam, natural down feathers, latex foam or polyester fiberfill, the best thing you can do to protect your pillow is to use a removable pillow cover that is machine washable. The cover should be made from a breathable natural fiber like cotton, bamboo or linen and always used in addition to your regular pillow case. All Nature’s Sleep pillows have removable, washable cotton covers for easy care. Wash it at least monthly using hot water and more often during hot weather or if someone is ill.
If your favorite pillow is solid molded memory foam, you have a head start on maintaining a clean pillow because memory foam is naturally hypoallergenic, resistant to bacterial growth and dust mites. But it should still be cleaned once or twice a year and after any spills. The same cleaning technique can be used for regular memory foam, gel-infused memory foam or memory foam with gel inserts pillows.
Starting the Cleaning Procedure
If possible, clean your memory foam pillows on a breezy, warm day to hasten drying.
- Remove the outer covers of your pillow for top layer cleaningBegin by removing the protective cover and tossing it in the wash.
- Sprinkle the pillow with baking soda, covering it wellAllow the baking soda to sit for at least an hour and then vacuum it away using the upholstery brush attachment on your vacuum or a hand-held vac. This will leave your pillow smelling fresh and remove any dust or pet hair that might be on the pillow. Flip the pillow over and repeat
- Mix a small amount of a gentle detergent like one used for hand washing silk or wool in a bowl of lukewarm water to remove stainsDip a clean white cloth into the detergent solution and gently rub from the outside of the stain toward the center. Keep moving to a clean area of the cloth as the stain is transferred. Keep moving to a clean area of the cloth as the stain is transferred. Keep moving to a clean area of the cloth as the stain is transferred. Once the stain is gone, dip a clean white cloth in plain water and blot to remove any remaining soap.
- Allow the pillow to air dry completelyIf you must speed the drying process, use a hair dryer set on cool to dry the area.
A Deeper Cleaning
If your memory foam pillow needs a deep cleaning;
- Fill a large sink or bathtub with lukewarm water and a small amount of the gentle detergentCompletely submerge the pillow and squeeze gently to move the cleaning solution through the foam. NEVER place a solid foam pillow in a washer, even one with no center agitator. The movement - especially the final spin - is too harsh and can cause the foam to break.
- Rinse the pillow several times until the water runs clearGently squeeze to remove the water - no wringing!
- Allow the pillow to air dry on a flat, ventilated surfaceDo not place in a dryer because the high heat can cause damage. To speed drying, use a portable fan. Depending on the thickness of the foam, it can take up to 24 hours for a pillow to dry completely.
With a clean pillow, your sleep will be better than ever.