Why is Memory Foam so Popular?
During the 1960's, the scientists at NASA's Ames Research Center developed a revolutionary foam that they dubbed 'memory foam.' The memory foam successfully helped alleviate and cushion pressure points on an astronaut's body that occurred from g-force during a rocket's take off. The isco-elastic polyurethane foam that the scientists created conformed to an astronaut's physical shape and worked well to absorb shock. Once pressure was relieved from the foam, it quickly returned to its original form. In the 1980s, NASA sold the technology of memory foam to the public.
The First Memory Foam Mattress
In 1991, memory foam made its debut as a mattress in Sweden. By 1992, memory foam mattresses were widely available to consumers in North America. Manufacturers of memory foam beds started to spring up all over the world -- in the United States, Canada, and Europe. Beds made from memory foam quickly became a serious contender against the old style inner spring mattresses.
Benefits of a Memory Foam Mattress
There are numerous benefits to purchasing a memory foam mattress.
- Memory foam holds its shape and does not require a box spring. It can be used on a platform bed.
- More cost effective
- Never sags
- Does not creak
- Does not bounce or move when your partner rolls over (no motion transfer).
- It holds its shape for years, unlike spring mattresses which can suffer from compressed or bent springs over time.
- A memory foam mattress never requires flipping, unlike coil/spring mattresses.
- Memory foam displaces pressure along the length of your body to help relieve aches and pains.
- With memory foam's superior body contouring, it helps align your spine for a restful slumber.
- Memory foam may also relieve allergies better than an innerspring mattress can.
- Dust mites do not live on memory foam. Traditional coil spring mattresses often attract dust mites because of the nooks and crannies in the spaces between the coils.
- Memory foam mattresses that feature gel provide a cool night's sleep.
In the last decade, the popularity of memory foam beds has dramatically increased. Nature’s Sleep offers numerous shapes, sizes, feels and densities to fit your particular needs. If you want a restful night's sleep on a mattress that feels like it conforms to every curve and inch of your body, look no further than a new Nature’s Sleep memory foam mattress. The substantial benefits to a memory foam bed are undeniable!