Too Tired to Drive?
Ever found yourself nodding off at the wheel? We've all done it. Driving when drowsy can turn into a very dangerous situation for both yourself and other drivers. If you think you may be too tired to drive, it is best not to push yourself. Avoid driving drowsy at all costs. Here are some strategies to avoid falling asleep at the wheel.
- Drink Coffee: Coffee, or any other caffeinated drink can serve as a temporary solution if you are driving and feel less than alert. The caffeine will take up to half an hour to become effective, so be sure to keep this in mind and pull over for a little while if you have to.
- Cut Down On Late Night Driving: Avoiding late night driving to begin with is a good strategy to ensure that you don't drive drowsy. Plan your trip during daylight hours whenever possible. Driving during hours that you are usually in bed is a definite no-no.
- Take a Break: If you are driving on an excessively long trip, be sure to take a break. Driving without stopping to rest, or using caffeine or energy drinks may work at first. But they will inevitably lead to an energy crash later.
- Bring A Friend Along For The Ride: Having someone ride with you on a long trip is a sure-fire way to avoid falling asleep behind the wheel.Interesting conversation will definitely keep you awake. Your friend can also help you with the driving, if needed. Remember to bring a good pillow!
- Get Enough Sleep: Last, but definitely not least, be sure to get a good night's sleep. This is the absolute best way to ensure that you are not tired when driving. Most people need between 7-8 hours of sleep to remain alert throughout the day!
Do you avoid driving at night if you are sleepy?