Cleaning a Memory Foam Pillow: A How-to Guide
More and more people are buying a memory foam pillow because of its unrivaled support and incredible comfort! However, memory foam pillows can pose a problem when you need to clean one. Memory foam is incredibly delicate, and one mistake could ruin your comfortable, cozy pillow forever! No need to stress, though - we've compiled a list of instructions for cleaning your memory foam pillow, including how to remove stains and odors. Keep reading to learn how to clean your memory foam pillow:
Cleaning Don'ts - What To Avoid When Cleaning Your Memory Foam Pillow:
Memory foam is incredibly delicate, and if you try to clean it the wrong way, it could ruin your pillow! Here are some don'ts for cleaning your memory pillow.
DON'T scrub, rub, or otherwise harshly or vigorously cleanse your pillow.
DON'T use traditional/industrial-strength cleaners.
DON'T use hot or warm water to clean your pillow.
DON'T use excessive water when cleaning. (Only a little bit is needed!)
And, above all else...
NEVER, ever, ever put your memory foam pillow in the clothes washer or dryer (unless the cleaning instructions on the manufacturer tags state that you can). Putting your memory foam pillow in the washer or dryer WILL ruin it, no exceptions! It is one of the worst things you could ever do to memory foam!
Now for some dos! Here's how to clean your beloved memory foam pillow:
Now, we all know by know that we shouldn't eat or drink in bed (really, it's just a spill waiting to happen!), however, we do anyways. and sometimes the inevitable happens and we're faced with a spill on the pillow, wishing we could go back in time and tell our past self to keep the water, wine, or soup out of the bedroom. Here's how to clean up a spill before it sets into the memory foam while a spill is still wet:
- Use a clean bath towel, pressing down on the spill, to absorb as much of the spill as possible. Use as many towels as needed in order to pick up as much of the spilled liquid as you can.
- Mix together a solution of cold water and a small amount of mild soap, but enough soap to produce bubbles.
- Stir the solution to make bubbles.
- Starting from the outside of the spill and working your way to the center, gently dab the lather from the cleaning solution onto the spot. Do NOT rub it onto the spill, only gently dab it down.
- Using a dry, clean towel, pat the area until it's as dry as possible.
- Set the pillow aside to air-dry. Place it in front of a fan to dry it quicker. You can use a hairdryer, but ONLY if it's on the "cold" setting that doesn't produce any heat!
- Make sure the pillow is completely dry before sleeping on it again.
Memory foam is delicate and can be difficult to clean, but that doesn't mean it's a hopeless endeavor! Taking care of a spill as soon as it happens, and treating your memory foam pillow gently will ensure that your pillow will enjoy a long, clean life.