Are you risking your health by not getting enough shut-eye? Sleep is more important than you think. Proven studies and research have shown that sleep is indisputably vital to maintaining good health. Yet people still continue to listen to rumors and misconceptions that suggest that proper rest is inessential. Here are a few commonly believed rumors, and the truth to dispel them:
- "As you get older you don't need as much sleep"- It is often said that as you age you don't require as much sleep as you did when you were younger. Perhaps it was reasoned that because your body has finished developing, you don't need as much sleep to grow! However, this is not true. Sleep's purpose for adults is to energize us for the next day. Some of us are busier than others, and it can seem impossible to find time to get a good night's sleep. The key is to remember that getting proper rest will make it easier to make it through your daily life.
- "You are ONLY resting while you sleep"- Sleeping is definitely more than just resting. It is important to understand that sleep has major impact on your physical and emotional state. As you sleep your body repairs itself from the strains and stresses experienced the previous day. If you don't get the right amount of sleep, you can wake up with a sore body. Or worse, cranky. Not getting enough sleep can leave you sluggish. This is likely to leave you irritable and unfocused throughout the day. To remain focused and energetic, it is best to remember the importance of a good night's sleep.
- "Bedtime doesn't matter"- Some people believe that sleeping patterns are unimportant. Are you constantly trying to catch up on your sleep? You can't make up for lost sleep by "sleeping in" later. It is best to sleep regularly to maintain a balanced and healthy lifestyle.
- "You can sleep on any old mattress"- You can fall asleep on any mattress, this is true. But for the most restorative and beneficial sleep possible, it is best to invest in a good mattress. A mattress that can prevent tossing and turning and ensure absolute comfort. Try our memory foam mattress, or even a pillow, to treat yourself to a better night's sleep! Do you practice healthy sleeping habits?
Since the 1990's memory foam has become increasingly popular among consumers, and marketed as a veritable source of pain relief. Memory foam toppers were introduced first, and were quickly followed by memory foam mattresses. Lying down on a memory foam bed has been described as feeling like one is slowly "melting" into the foam. But what exactly is memory foam, and what makes it so revolutionary?
Memory foam is actually a by-product of scientific investigations into space travel. It was developed by NASA while undertaking a project to find ways to protect astronauts from G-force experienced during lift-off. After realizing that memory foam was able to evenly distribute one's weight (which resulted in less pressure points, and less body pain and discomfort) better than any other substance known to man, scientists began to consider other possible uses for memory foam, mainly medical.
Wondering exactly how memory foam works? Memory foam is a polyurethane derived visco-elastic material. When you lie down, memory foam first depresses and then convalesces, slowly contouring itself to the body. Memory foam's open cell design releases air pressure into adjoining cells, which decreases pressure points. Memory foam is also a temperature-sensitive material. It is firmer when cool, and softens when heated, which allows the mattress to conform itself to your body. This is what makes memory foam different, and better, than a traditional mattress. Memory foam's amazing capabilities are the reason many are choosing to forgo traditional mattresses in lieu of its improved design. You deserve a better night's sleep too! Try one of our memory foam mattresses or toppers today to start experiencing the best sleep of your life. Have you made the switch yet?
Check out Groupon for a great deal on our mattresses. Save up to 70% Off! You can get a Twin, Full, Queen, King, or California King Memory-Foam Mattress with Shipping Included. Deal runs May 16 to May 24. You can find this deal here
Tired of restless nights? Some people are able to lie down at night and quickly fall into a fitful sleep, only to be awakened by the morning sun(or their alarm clock!). Others suffer from more irregular sleep patterns. Disturbed sleep refers to a number of conditions, but is most often associated with insomnia. If you find yourself having trouble falling asleep, staying asleep, or tossing and turning, here are some things to avoid:
- Drinking Too Much: It is a known fact that the body needs to stay well hydrated to function properly. However, you should try to consume the majority of your needed liquids earlier in the day. This is because drinking too much at night can cause frequent trips to the bathroom, preventing you from getting fully res
- Caffeine: It's time to say NO to caffeine...at least in the afternoon. Coffee, a known stimulant, has been shown to stay in the system for up to twelve hours, which can prevent you from falling into a deep, restorative sleep
- Heavy Meals: Avoiding stuffing yourself at night will also improve your sleep patterns. The larger the meal, the more energy it takes to be digested, therefore your body will be working hard and not truly resting. Fatty foods are particularly hard to digest.
- Alcohol: Alcohol is a well known sleep aid. However, while a "nightcap" will definitely help one fall asleep, it can also reduce the quality of your sleep. Drinking alcohol at night has been shown to make sleep less effective and you may wake up feeling just as tired as you were before.
- Smoking: Besides the risks of cancer and lung disease, did you know that smoking can have adverse effects on sleep? Nicotine, like caffeine, is a known stimulant. Smokers can also go through mini-withdrawals at night, which can further disrupt their sleep.
Using these proven tips may help you to enjoy a more peaceful night's sleep. You could also try a memory foam mattress or memory foam topper if you haven't already!
Happy Mother's Day from Nature's Sleep! Starting today you can save 40% on your purchase at Natures' Sleep with FREE SHIPPING. Use coupon code SHOP40. This sale ends 5/22. Excludes adjustable foundations. Shop Now!